I got a pair of snowshoes for Christmas. Luckily (or unluckily, depending on your view) we had lots of snow in January. Drove a few miles and tried them out at Vischer Ferry Nature Preserve.
One of the attractions at Vischer Ferry Nature Preserve is Forts Ferry. This is one of earliest settlements in the area (dating back to 1672). There was a tavern here during the revolution, and local accounts note that George Washington crossed the Mohawk here in 1783.
- Wikipedia - Vischer Ferry
- Snowshoeing in Vischer Ferry
- Clifton Park - Parks and Recreation
- Historic Images of Clifton Park - by John Scherer
- A History of Clifton Park, published in 1899
- Washington's Tour of the Mohawk River Valley
- Washington letter concerning his 1783 trip
- Mohawk Byway Guide
- Historic Marker - Erie Canal at Vischer Ferry
- Map My Walk Link