On August 31st I took the Empire State Capital Volkssporters (facebook) on a 10K through Oakwood Cemetery in Troy NY. Based on feedback I think everyone had a great time. Some walkers questioned my mileage (in good fun, they thought they should get credit for more than 10k). I used a geo-logger on my android phone to compute the distance, and it was just slightly over 6 miles.
Oakwood is one of my favorite walks. It's a very beautiful and historic place. Throughout the year there are guide tours available. On September 24, Mike Barrett (who gives a GREAT tour) will be leading an excursion that will include the Earl Chapel’s Tiffany windows, Uncle Sam’s grave, and a 100 mile view, as well as ponds, waterfalls, striking gravesite markers and more. To register please call 800-556-6273.
My walks during the month included:
- Oakwood Cemetery Loop (4.6 - 6.7 miles), 6 times
- Ross Valve Tech Park - Foundry and Back (also through Oakwood, 4.8 miles), 2 times
- Neighborhood walks (1.7 - 5.7 miles), 25 times
- USS Slater - Albany Loop (3.7 miles), 1 time
- Voorhesville (8.0 miles), 1 time
- Zim Smith (5.4 mile), 1 time
- Fort Ticonderoga, Kings Garden (1.6 miles), 1 time
- Clifton Park Center - Library Loop (4.1 miles), 2 times