Start at the visitor center, exit by the back patio and take the path to Meade's Headquarters. Cross Taneytown Road and walk up to Cemetery Ridge. Turn south on Hancock Ave., walk along the ridge toward the Pennsylvania Memorial. The field that Pickett's Charge crossed is on your right. The Confederate High water mark is also on your left at the corpse of trees. Little Round top will be noticable as you pass the Pennsylvania Memorial. While the climb is small from this end the view is quite spectacular. The best way back (unless you want to double the distance and walk the Confederate Lines) is to return.
On the way back there was a small brush fire at Wiekert House and I stopped an helped the Ranger extinguish it. Nothing like a little excitement during a pleasant walk.
- Gettysburg National Military Park
- Army Staff Rides - Gettysburg (and more)
- Cemetery Ridge Walking Tour (available in Battlefield Bookstore)
- Wikipedia - Gettysburg Battlefield
- Wikipedia - Gettysburg Museum and Visitor Center
- Wikipedia - Gettysburg National Military Park
- Licensed Guide - Stuart Dempsey (highly recommended)
- Gaslight Inn (great B-N-B at Gettysburg)